_20090905_004.jpg)
So I wasn't going to write about this because I simply didn't want to jinx myself. However, being that D just turned 17 months and the 18 month mark of getting rid of his pacifier was soon approaching...I would have never in a million years guessed that he would give it up all on his own!
Just about a month ago we gathered up all of his "green" pacifiers, the ones well...for newborns (but were somehow his favorite for a very long time). The only one that has been lingering has been the lone ranger of the infamous "blue" pacifier. And after all this time I can't believe we didn't have a name for this comfort item of his!
It started out that when he was going through a very mild...ok not so mild period of teething and crying hysterically and nothing would help him but the Tylenol or Motrin bottle...he absolutely wanted nothing to do with his pacifier. It was a shocker to us. I guess maybe it hurt to suck on it? Anyway, he was congested and maybe he couldn't breathe...at least that is what I kept telling myself.
Then...oh about 6 days ago, on an unintentional night I held him like normal, read him his book...and he had a tight grasp on a hot wheel car. He laid there in my arms listening to me sing to him and slowly but surely his eyes got heavier and heavier. I got up and put him in his crib and over he turned to get to that butt in the air position.
After about 3 nights...I would come running out of his bedroom hooraying my arms in the air "Like I did it"! We kept saying to each other, really...just like that? It really hasn't been bad...and he doesn't depend on it all the time. One day he saw it and I asked him to hand me his pacifier and he brought it to me and gave it to me?! Shocker!
Of course we did have that one night where he woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't put himself back to sleep. Followed by an "uh oh" the next morning for him to find it on the floor. He unfortunately still gets it at daycare...but only at nap time. So this past weekend, and only one day out of the weekend we had to give him his pacifier at nap time.
But hey, we'll take what we can get. We weren't even betting on this...we thought we would be going longer than our "goal".
Sianara, pacifier! We won't be pulling you out until round 2! :)





No comments:
Post a Comment