Monday, March 23, 2009

A frightening discovery...a Recall!

I have to say that when you hear about recalls in the media on children's toys, car seats or even food for that matter...you always say, that could never happen to me.



Well, that small thought in my head, sure did come to a reality a week ago. I just happened to be looking on http://www.babycenter.com/, from an email they had sent me about development and in that email was a tab about a car seat that had been recalled. Well, since we had just purchased a new car seat for our lil one...I decided I would take a look. Of course, it was NOT the car seat we had just purchased. But I saw that you could search other recalls...so I thought I would take a look. By fluke, I looked under Breastfeeding, in my head thinking what could be recalled on a topic such as breastfeeding. Well low and behold that is where all the furniture was categorized.



I knew a few months back the furniture manufacturer that we had bought Dylan's furniture from had a recall on springs...but nothing to the magnitude that I saw. I was in absolute shock. Double checking the recall that was right before my eyes. Sure enough, every piece of furniture that Munire made for Newport Rubbed Black had been recalled, and had been since December.
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml09/09075.html

How could I not know about this?


Well, ultimately Munire is replacing or sending us a voucher to replace piece by piece the furniture we have in a different color/style. The red paint that is underneath the black paint had substantial amounts of lead in it, and has had one confirmed case of Lead Poisoning. I couldn't believe it! Dylan had been cribbing, and how did I not know about this before now.



With all the chaos of going on vacation we got Dylan in to do some blood work to test for lead, and we arranged for our coupon to arrive prior to us getting home from our trip.



Babies 1st furniture has been tremendous in helping us out with this issue. Of course the color we want is now on back order until mid-May. Thanks to Babies 1st they are supplying us with a loaner crib, as our lil guy is not sleeping well in his pack n play, until we receive our new furniture.



Hopefully all of this nonsense will be over and done with in no time. But all I can say is "sign up for the recall notifications" at: http://www.cpsc.gov/CPSCList.aspx it is well worth it.


And yes, more importantly...the test results came back and they were negative! Thank goodness! I don't think he had "cribbed" enough to penetrate the paint that has the lead in it anyway.


But until May, hopefully sooner rather than later, his room will be a bit of a mess. But what are you going to do? Sign up, that is for sure!

1 comment:

THE Stephanie said...

OMG that's so scary! I never check the recalls... I always think I never have something that's been recalled.

So scary!! I'm glad he's ok!!


Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner