First off, the boy just loves to carry around his toothbrush and lately his hairbrush. He will crawl with it in his hand banging it all along the way. Well, on this lovely morning we go to the kitchen and he went to pick it up and show it to me. With a simple question "can you brush your hair?"...he took the brush and and brushed his hair! I jumped and clapped my hands in such delight. OMG, how did this just happen...and all of a sudden?! I kept asking him and he kept doing it...then I would ask him to brush my hair...and he did! It's a miracle! All this time of asking questions and talking to him, he really was just taking it all in to use one day to communicate.
So...the second thing had to do with him pointing at something I asked him about. Of course he knows the dogs, we mix between calling them by their names and calling them dog(s). I was always curious if he understood the picture of the golden retriever (dog) on his excersaucer was the same type animal as the "dogs" he lives with. He must...b/c I asked "where is the dog" and he pointed to the picture, and when I asked again he pointed at Titan. I was beside myself. I kept thinking, this boy is smart...he really and truly understands me!
Last but not least, as he was having his waffle (which he normally just picks up with fingers) with daddy. Lately I have been letting him hold his own spoon while I feed him. He decided to take the piece of waffle and smoosh it onto the spoon upside down and squeeze them together as he brought them to his mouth. He was trying, he was really truly trying! Cody came running to tell me I needed to come watch. With assistance from daddy, he managed to feed himself with his spoon!
How? How does a child just all of the sudden get it and try to apply it? It's amazing to see his mind work, you can tell he gets it and gets it alot. He is a lot smarter than I ever thought he would be at this age.
So...with brushing hair, pointing at the dog, trying to feed himself and play talking on the phone under our belts...when we got back from church it was the biggest surprise of all!
He grabbed his walker toy and just took off! Up until now, he has had no desire to walk. Nada, nothing, zilch! Absolutely refused, and if he did he would stick his bottom out or push his belly out and it just makes him all off balance. Well...today was a new thing...he acted like he was a pro. He grabbed that walker and took off. He would run into the wall, stand there, and then pull away and re-align to go straight again. How does he know that all of a sudden? Has he been doing it at daycare? Or is really from watching and observing all those rascals that can walk at daycare.
Needless to say, his favorite thing to do now is grab that walker and go all over the place. He walks with it to something he wants, uses it as a steady stable place to have one hand on and one hand grabbing what he wants. (hence the crashing books and magazines that I never thought he would get off of the dining room table). We really need to baby proof again!!! This walking thing I am afraid is here to stay and this is the start of something bigger. Forces us to organize, I guess!
6 days to his birthday and these are the milestones he has hit. He's amazing, precious, adorable, adventurous and just down right cute! I think we needed a fly on the wall videotaping when he started walking with his walker...we were all so excited, something new and he was so proud of himself!
Good job Dylan, we love you!





No comments:
Post a Comment